A previous leader of mine liked to kick off meetings with ‘family time’ as a few minutes to check in and connect. Here are some suggested family time or icebreaker prompts that keep things professional and positive.
- Email (incoming or outgoing) that you’re most proud of from the past week
- Picture of your workspace
- Personal win for the week
- Professional win for the week
- One question driving you nuts this week
- Best article/tweet/post/book/passage that you’ve read in the past week
- Any books you’ve read multiple times/movies you’ve watched multiple times
- If you could only bring one album with you to a desert island?
- Invited to a potluck tomorrow, what do you bring?
- You can have a lifetime supply of one day of meals, but it’s the only thing you can eat everyday.
- Your favorite thing about working for [School/District/Organization].
- Your favorite thing about being a [job role].
- Your favorite thing about working in [education].
- One thing you wish you were better at or could improve on.
Using something like this every time you connect with a group will go a long way in promoting a positive culture.